Sunday, May 31, 2015

RAW VEGAN CARROT CAKE TRUFFLES


It seems all of the recipes I found online for these tasty dessert bites use medjool dates to sweeten and hold the ingredients together.  Do not misunderstand.  Medjool dates make many recipes sweet and creamy and delicious, but I don't want to use them because they are so high on the glycemic index (which means the sugar content is sky high). So I got out my food processor this morning and started experimenting. The finished product had to be completely legal on "The Advanced Plan," and delicious enough for everyone.  Here is the recipe.
Enjoy.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup any nut you have on hand (walnuts, almonds, pecans)
4 small carrots, peeled and chopped into 2-3 inch pieces
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup gently melted coconut oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 droppers full of liquid stevia (I used vanilla stevia, so I omitted the vanilla extract.)

Note:  If you really don't like stevia, use an amount of xylitol to achieve the same sweetness.  I would love to give you a measure, but I really don't like xylitol, so my experience with it is limited.  I can tell you that two droppers full of vanilla stevia is very sweet. Make this recipe your own by tasting and adjusting the sweetness as needed.

METHOD
Place all ingredients in a high powered food processor and process until fully combined.

Form mixture into 1 inch balls (bites) and roll in a little cinnamon or a bit more unsweetened shredded coconut.

Chill for a few hours or overnight.  You can freeze the chilled bites in an airtight container in the freezer for a few months, but I guarantee they won't last that long.

Recipe yields approximately 24 "bites."