Sunday, April 29, 2012

Janelle Bohemier's Caesar Salad Dressing


I have been wanting to post this Caesar Salad Dressing recipe since the very first time I tasted it, at Janelle Bohemier's house on Christmas day, 2010!  I may be slow, but I remember what's important! The recipe is simple, delicious, and can be prepared very quickly with a minimum of ingredients.  By the way, there are no anchovies, for those who care about things like that.
Enjoy.

Ingredients:
1 clove garlic - grated or very finely minced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 heaping tsp of dijon mustard (check the ingredients - no sugar)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (raw is preferrable - imported Italian is second best)
juice (and I add the zest, too) of 1 lemon
Kosher or sea salt and freshly grated black pepper (optional and to taste)
a few dashes of Worchestershire sauce (also optional - again check for no sugar)

Preparation:
You may blend all ingredients in a high speed blender, as I do.  This results in a dressing that is so creamy, you won't believe there are no eggs or cream in it.
You may also simply shake the ingredients in a jar, as Janelle does.  This is the way I first tasted this dressing, and there is a lot less to clean up.  Equally delicious - you may even prefer it this way.

Last night, I added two tablespoons of organic hemp seeds to this salad, and that was my complete meal.